Wednesday, April 26, 2017

My D-I-Y Garden

As I have previously mentioned, I love working and making things with my hands. So when posed with the choice whether to hire landscapers for our garden or just make it simple and do it myself, I readily opted for the second choice. Besides, it gives me such joy to be able to grow plants and see them bloom and think to myself, "These are the work of my hands!"

Okay, that's overly dramatic. Hehe...  Anyway, here's what my garden looked like while in progress...


First, I sketched a layout of how I'd like my garden to look like. Then I measured the actual garden, including the pots that I already have, and transfered the sketch on a paper with grids so I could have a scaled layout. And based on this, I calculated the number of stones and bricks that I would need. Then, we bought stones, bricks, garden soil, Frog Grass and plants and I laid them out and voila! My D-I-Y garden!

I chose Frog Grass over Bermuda because it does not require much maintenance. No need to trim because it doesn't grow vertically, so it doesn't grow tall. It just crawls on the ground. It is also easier to plant. Just pin and push and sprinkle with additional garden soil plus water afterwards, and you're done!

By the way, you may be wondering what are those eggshells doing in there... Well, they are seedlings of Marigold Harmony. Yes, I use eggshells for planting seeds. I've done a little research and learned that eggshells are eggs-celent seedling pots as they are organic and they make eggs-celent fertilizers, too! 

My Marigolds are now grown and showing some buds :-) The other flowering plants (Zinnia and Kalachuchi) there have also shown their first blooms. Will post recent pictures soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Journey of The Clueless Kusinera to Stress-Free Daily Meal Planning - Part 1

When I decided to stop working and focus on the domestic side of life, I tried to live up to the label housewife and be real...